Shhhh! It’s a little known secret in the beauty industry that many of the skin care products you may have at home can serve more than a single purpose. Eye shadows come to mind. Being a makeup artist, I know full well that eye shadows can be used dry, or wet, with an eyeliner brush to create a more dramatic look. Well, many skin care products can also be used in more than one way, with a few multi purpose skin care tips!
First a little background information for you: When I created the skin care line that you see now, I was in the throngs of menopause. One day my skin was dry, and the next day it was even drier! I had to create products that could be layered as my skin care needs changed.
Some of you may have occasional dry patches, or live in an area of the country where it is excessively dry or cold. Here in Southern California, I seldom use facial oil in the summertime. It is just too hot for me to do that comfortably, but my skin needs oils in the winter. I also have what I like to call the “spring desert zone” - from March to April every year, my forehead gets super dry, and the rest of my skin stays normal.
When reading the tips below, consider adjusting them to your own skin, where you live, the season, and maybe even a particular area of your face that needs extra TLC.
Creating a Nourishing Facial Mask with Multi-Purpose Skin Care Products
Even if you have been using our Reveal Exfoliating Foam Cleanser with AHA once or twice a week, you may still decide to do a longer and deeper exfoliation with a mask on a Saturday morning. You will need:
1.Reveal Exfoliating Foam cleanser
2.Kaolin clay (best for mature skin)
3.A small bowl with a brush or applicator. I use a small fan shaped mask brush
4.Washcloth and a sink
Combine 2-3 squirts of foam into your bowl, and add 1-2 teaspoons of clay. Use your brush and blend until you form a paste. If you feel it is too thick, you may add a few drops of water.
Apply with the brush to your face, keeping the product at least an inch away from the eyes, and just above the eyebrows. If you have extra, go ahead and do under your jawline and even down your neck. Set a timer for 5-6 minutes. I find that the best benefits happen in the first 5-6 minutes, and the first time you use any exfoliating mask, it is best to do less time and see how your skin behaves.. If you feel that you want to try it longer, you can go up to 10 minutes next time you make this.
Note: It is ok for your skin to be a little tingly or pink, but if you feel any itching, or your face turns red or irritated, remove immediately and rinse with water. This is true of any beauty product. When the timer goes off, get your washcloth wet with warm water, and gently wipe off the mask, following with splashes of cold water. Gently pat dry and apply a moisturizer.
Important! Because this contains clay, and no extra preservatives, it is a single use mask, and should be used immediately, not stored and used at a future date.
How to Use Marula Oil as a Multi Purpose Body Oil
Of all the oils in the world that we could choose to feature in our product line, we chose Marula. Not only are we enamored with the soft feel of this oil, but also love that its purchase helps women in Africa support their families.
Our Virgin Marula oil is purchased through a Fair Trade initiative, meaning these ladies are paid well, work in a safe environment, and that the Fair Trade agreement also helps educate their children. The oil itself is wild harvested, pesticide free, and never heated or treated with harsh chemicals. Good for the village in Africa, and good for your skin!
How to use this precious oil in your multi-purpose skin care:
- Use 1-2 drops of Virgin Marula Oil on your skin nightly after your night or day cream. Apply to fingers and press gently into the skin, paying particular attention to dry patches.
- Take an extra drop or two and rub them into your hands - particularly your cuticles
- After styling your hair, take 1-2 drops, rub between your hands, and gently press into hair to tame fly-aways, and make hair healthy and shiny.
- Pick a “no makeup” day to apply 2-3 drops as an oil treatment. Leave oil on all day.
- Apply a few drops to the décolleté area of your chest to protect and soften the area.
Extending the Use of Your Eye Serum for a Multi Purpose Routine
I’ve had customers ask me if they can use Awaken Eye Serum all over their face! Unfortunately, no. There is a big difference between eye serum and facial cream. Skin around the eye area is thinner, more prone to wrinkles, may have dark circles or puffiness, and is extra sensitive.
Awaken Eye Serum contains powerful ingredients like caffeine, green tea, and cucumber for puffiness and discoloration along with hyaluronic acid and peptides for fine lines. Most of these ingredients are not needed for our general face area — but there is one special area of our face that does have similar needs...Your mouth! That’s right.
Above your mouth, there is a seldom discussed area, where things like “whistle lines” are created. Any woman over 50 can tell you that this area is prone to dryness and more lines as we age. Normal application of lipstick when you are 30, is nothing like the challenging application of it when you are over 50! Mature ladies have to navigate things like strange hairs sprouting out of nowhere, discoloration, and the lines that descend into the upper lip, blocking the desired straight lipstick line.
Here’s a way to help that area by using our serum for your multi purpose, anti-aging skin care needs.
1. Apply your Awaken Eye Serum as usual. Remember, Awaken is highly concentrated. Dispense less than a single pump, (about the size of a grain of rice), and that amount should be split between the two eyes. Dab lightly in a semi circle on the bone under the eye, keeping at least a half an inch from the actual eye. Carry the serum around to the side of the eyes. If you do want serum above the eye area, apply it above the brow. All eye serums have the ability to “creep” when they are in the thin, oily skin around the eyelid. Never apply any eye serum to the actual eyelid.
2. When you are finished, take whatever is left on your fingers, and rub it into the skin just above the upper lip. That’s it! The wonders of eye serum can be extended to the lip area, and may reduce the signs of dryness, fine lines, and help actually plump the skin in that area.
We hope that you will try some of these ideas for multi purpose skin care to extend the value of your Ayr Skin Care products, and we welcome any comments or questions on our email@example.com email address. To your healthy skin!
Bye for now!
If you have any questions or comments, we would be happy to answer you personally! Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.