The first day of Spring is right around the corner, so what better time to take stock of what beauty products you actually use, what is causing clutter, and simplify your bathroom collection. Hoarding beauty products - whether it be makeup, skincare, or hair and nail care - can add time and stress to getting ready and clutter can disrupt the relaxing feel of any space.
It is amazing how baskets, drawers, shelves, and counter space get filled so easily with extra products that we don’t use. They sit there collecting dust until they expire, so join us in taking this opportunity to do a little spring cleaning! Here are some of the best ways we’ve found for banishing excess clutter and effortlessly spring cleaning your skincare routine.
Step 1: Lay it all out
Start your spring skincare routine organization by taking stock of the skincare and beauty products you currently have. The best way we’ve found for tackling the mountain of accumulated beauty products is to gather everything and lay it all out. Grab all the bottles and bars from your shower and tub, pull out the makeup travel bags, empty your drawers, under the sink, and medicine cabinet areas and spread everything out on the floor.
Step 2: Assess and Sort
Once it is all out in the open, start sorting them into a few different piles:
- Special occasion items: Any items that you might want to hold onto for a special night out, costume wear, or holidays, but aren’t suitable for daily or office wear.
- Essential items: Your core collection of beauty essentials. Items that you can’t live without and are appropriate for any occasion.
- Duplicates: Take a close look at these and think about how long it will take to get to using them. If it is something like deodorant, soap, or lotion that you use every day, it’s probably not a bad idea to have an extra or two around. If it is something like 2 opened bottles of the exact same color of nail polish, it might be time to toss one and simplify.
- Expired Items: Take a look at the expiration dates of ALL the products as you are sorting them. If they are expired, it is time for them to go! If there isn’t a clear expiration date, most products aren’t good past 12-18 months, so use your best judgment. Do yourself a favor and make the most of your spring skincare routine by not using expired products. Signs that a skin care product may be beyond its safe date include a change in color, separation of emulsion (creams, lotions), change in smell). Products that go on your face are especially dangerous to use if expired, as preservation systems in the products may break down causing mold and bacteria, which you may not be able to see!
- Things You Never Use: Try to look at your patterns with this pile. Are you falling for makeup trends that don’t really work with your taste? Are there products that are causing bad reactions with your skin? Do you buy pampering products for yourself and then never set aside the time to use them? Make some goals when you go through this pile based on what you’ve learned.
Step 3: Set up your simplified space
Now that you’ve learned a bit more about your habits and product use, start putting things away! If needed, run out to the store and get some organizing bins to keep things tidy. One of the most important things to consider when simplifying your spring skincare routine is to create a system that works for you and is easy to maintain.
- Put special occasion products in a special place - their own box, bag, or area of a drawer where you can find them easily when you need them.
- Make sure to put everyday items front and center. Since these are high-use products, you are going to want these in an easy-to-grab spot.
- If there are duplicates you are going to keep, create a “duplicates and extras” area. The next time you run out of anything, check this area before buying!
Toss or Give Away
- Dispose of all expired products.
- For products you never use and duplicates you aren’t going to get through in time, toss anything that is in poor condition and consider sharing any new or good condition products with family and friends!
Tips for Maintenance
Aside from taking time to spring clean your skincare routine, check in on your products regularly - we try to do this once or twice a year - to make sure that you are clearing out any accumulated or expired products before they become a daunting mountain of bottles.
Here are a few more tips to simplify your spring skincare routine and to keep your bathroom space tidy and reduce clutter:
- Consider purchasing multi-tasking products. Products like our Virgin Marula Oil can do the work of multiple skin, hair, and nail products in one bottle.
- If there are any products you are unsure about keeping or tossing, leave them out on your counter for a month. If you haven’t used them by the end of the month, it’s time for them to go!
- When placing your products in organizing containers, be sure to position products you use the most at the front for easy access. This will prevent digging to the bottom of the box for your trusty body butter.
- Consider purchasing products with eco-friendly packaging to reduce plastic waste.
If you have any questions or comments, we would be happy to answer you personally! Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.